Apply for visitor visa

Visitor Visa

Visitor Visas 

A visitor visa, also known as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), is an immigration document that allows foreign nationals to enter and travel to Canada. Unless you are from a visa-exempt country, you will need a visitor visa to enter Canada, whether you are a student, a temporary worker, or just passing through.


The two types of Canadian visiting visas are single-entry and multiple-entry visas. Foreign nationals with a single entry visa can only visit Canada once. Holders of a multiple-entry visa can enter and exit Canada as many times as they want for the duration of the visa. You are not required to specify the type of visa you require; applicants are automatically considered for multiple entry visas and are only granted single entry visas in exceptional circumstances.

Multiple entry visitor visas allow the holder to visit Canada for up to six months at a time as many times as they like as long as the visa is valid. 

Visa-Exempt Countries

The only people, other than Canadian citizens and permanent residents, who do not require a visitor visa to enter Canada are individuals who are visa-exempt. Canada has agreements with several countries that exempt citizens of those nations from requiring a visa to visit Canada for a period of up to six months. If foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries wish to visit Canada by air, they require a valid electronic travel authorization (eTA).