Complete Your Dream Of Canada

Make The Best Plan possible for the FST Program Class

Columbus Immigration

Federal Skilled Trades Program

The only option accessible to tradesmen under federal economic immigration is the FST Program. Canada suffers from a severe labor shortage. The FST Program offers these applicants a viable route to PR.

Columbus Immigration

Eligibility to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades Program (Express Entry)

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

One of the three programs under the Express Entry system is the FST Program. It invites candidates who are good in a skilled trade and ranks them using the CRS.

The primary need for FSTP eligibility is work experience in a skilled trade NOC code, either domestically or abroad.

The requirements for eligibility include

Work Experience: have at least 2 years of full-time work experience  in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply.

Job Offer: A legal offer of full-time employment from up to two Canadian firms, lasting at least one year.

Certification: Obtain a Certificate of Qualification in the relevant skilled trade from a Canadian province or territory body as an alternative to a job offer.

Language Skill: At least CLB 4 in reading and writing and CLB 5 in speaking, listening, and both.

NOCs fall under the FST Program's eligibility

You must have experience in one of the below listed skill in the following NOC codes:

  • Major Group 72, technical trades and transportation officers and controllers
    • excluding Sub-Major Group 726, transportation officers and controllers
  • Major Group 73, general trades
  • Major Group 82, supervisors in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Major Group 83, occupations in natural resources and related production
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors, and utilities operators and controllers
  • Major Group 93, central control and process operators and aircraft assembly assemblers and inspectors, excluding Sub-Major Group 932, aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors
  • Minor Group 6320, cooks, butchers and bakers
  • Unit Group 62200, chefs

How can I get a certificate of qualification for the FSTP?

The provinces and territories are responsible for education and training under the Canadian Constitution. This usually means that they are in charge of determining the requirements for practising a skilled trade in their jurisdiction.

The regulatory organisation in charge of governing your skilled trade in the province or territory of your choice must evaluate your skills, trades experience, and training to determine if you are eligible to write an exam to become certified.

You will most likely need to travel to the province or territory to take the certification exam. Furthermore, you may require an employer in Canada to train you and provide you with work experience before taking the exam.

Some trades are not regulated by a province or territory.