Columbus Immigration

Parents and Grandparents

Parent And Grandparent.

The Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) is a one-of-a-kind immigration program that allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their parents and grandparents for PR in Canada.

Who Can Sponsor Their Parents Or Grandparents Under The PGP?

To sponsor your parents or grandparents under the PGP, you must first:

Be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person
registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
Have received an invitation to apply
Be at least 18 years old
Currently living in Canada
Have sufficient income to meet the needs of your parents and grandparents to be sponsored and meet all other requirements under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations.

How Much I Need To Show To Sponsor My Parents And Grandparents Under The PGP?

Every sponsor must be able to support their parents and grandparents in Canada. If invited to apply, the sponsor must demonstrate that they met the income requirement for the previous three tax years. If your spouse or common-law partner is a co-signer on the application, you can use their income from the last three tax years to meet the minimum income threshold. IRCC will assess income from tax years 2020, 2019, and 2018 for 2021 submissions.

What Are My Obligations If I Sponsor My Parents And Grandparents Under The PGP?

A commitment must be made with IRCC in order to sponsor parents or grandparents through the PGP. This commitment binds sponsors who reside outside of Quebec to financially assist the sponsored family members for a period of 20 years following the date the sponsored family members are granted PR in Canada. You will also be obligated to pay back any provincial social assistance that your sponsored family member received over the course of the 20 years. Your sponsored family members must also have access to the necessities like food, clothing, and utilities. For sponsors who live in Quebec, the commitment is valid for ten years starting on the day when the sponsored family members are granted permanent residency in Canada. If you want to sponsor your parents or grandparents to Canada, Columbus immigration can help you. Columbus Immigration will help with your every step making the process easy.

What Document Do I Need To Submit An Application For PR Under The PGP?

If you have been invited to apply for the PGP, you must also use it to sponsor your parents and grandparents. You should expect to submit the following as part of your application:

Application forms completed
Proof of status in Canada
Evidence of physical presence in Canada
Documents proving your civil status
Proof that you meet the minimum income cut-off for the three tax years preceding the application
Police clearances and certificates from all countries where your parent or grandparent has lived for six months or more after the age of 18
Proof of payment for applicable government fees
Medical certificate for your parent and grandparent
Photograph on digital media.

Can I Leave Canada During Processing My Sponsorship Application Under The PGP?

The sponsor must be a Canadian resident to sponsor your parents or grandparents under the PGP. This means that your primary residential address must be in Canada when the application is submitted and until the application is decided.