Need help with spousal sponsorship?


Columbus Immigration

Spousal Sponsorship Program

The method by which a Canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor their partner to immigrate to Canada permanently is known as spousal sponsorship. In Canada, we are aware of how crucial it is for families to stay together. Applications seeking spousal sponsorship are therefore given great consideration.

This page contains all the information you need to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner to immigrate to Canada.

Family Class (Outland) Sponsorship Class

If you meet the following criteria, you should apply for Family Class (Outland) sponsorship:

Your spouse/common-law partner (i.e., “the applicant”) is not a Canadian citizen.

You currently reside in Canada with your sponsor but do not intend to remain for the application process.

Inland Sponsorship

Inland spousal sponsorship allows applicants to remain in Canada while their application for PR is being processed. Suppose the applicant’s temporary status document is invalid for the sponsorship processing period. In that case, they must apply for an extension or a new status document to remain legally in Canada while their sponsorship application is being processed.

Outland Sponsorship

Eligibility: A Canadian citizen living in or outside of Canada with the sponsored spouse OR a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada while your spouse or common-law partner is living outside of Canada.

Refusal: If an outland sponsorship application is denied, it can be appealed to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD)

The disadvantage of this route is that living with your spouse may be easier once your application is approved. On the other hand, your spouse can apply for a temporary visa to visit Canada while their outland sponsorship application is being processed.

Inland Sponsorship

In most cases, applications for spousal sponsorship are processed within a year. Traveling abroad while an inland sponsorship application is being processed is permissible, but it is not recommended.

Eligibility: A Canadian citizen or permanent resident & residing in Canada along with a spouse or common-law partner

Refusal: An Inland application cannot be appealed if it is refused. It is preferable to resubmit with more decisive proof rather than incur significantly higher costs by requesting a court review.